Shaylie Brammer - Interview



In this interview, I had the great joy of talking with a good friend, Shaylie Brammer. She's a former Praise YTH intern, member of Praise Church, full-time nanny, and an absolute joy to be around. Shaylie and I had so much fun just getting a chance to connect and talk about some fun things and some real things. I hope the experience is as enriching to you as it was to me.

Ethan: You've worked a lot with Praise, and by extension, Praise YTH. I have too. As you look back on your experiences whether they be as a student, intern, or bystander, what are some of the watershed moments for you in that moment of retrospect?

Shaylie: Hmm, that's a good question. I've been in Praise YTH since I was in 9th grade. My Junior Year at Winter Retreat is one I remember. During Small Group time, a friend of mine and I were talking. She and I had just been going through the motions of church. We were attending, but not super involved. Then she asks me, "Shaylie, why are you here? Where are you going?" I just kind of broke down because I didn't know. The next morning was Sunday, so it was just acoustic worship. I remember being on my knees just worshipping. At that moment, I felt God so clearly telling me that I was here for a purpose and I was to keep pursuing Him. I needed to fully commit. That was the last straw, so I decided to go all in. Then during my Senior Year, I wasn't super close with any of the other interns, and so I initially didn't want to join when Tara asked me. However, after talking with Tara and Jimmy I decided to try it and it was an amazing decision. There were so many times during our 4pm prayer services where God would put someone on my heart to pray for or talk to. Very crazy stuff, you know? Now, when life happens and I feel distant from God, I can go back to those moments in my journal and see how God moved.

Ethan: That's interesting because that happened between you and me one time.

Shaylie: Yeah, it did.

Ethan: For the readers who might not be aware. One Sunday morning, I just felt God telling me to tell you to trust him. So I approached you and said something to the effect of, "This is gonna sound weird, but  I feel like God is leading me to tell you to trust Him." and you literally said "Stop" and started tearing up.

Shaylie: Yep, that 100% happened. It was crazy. What was even crazier, is that we don't even really talk that much, so it just happened out of literally nowhere,

Ethan: I know! Believe me, I was just as surprised as you were. Because you said "Stop" and I thought I had done something wrong and I immediately wanted to back-pedal so hard.

Shaylie: At that time I was struggling to be fully committed. I wouldn't say I have a control issue, but when I don't have any control over things I'm involved in it can really stress me out. I was trying to control all of these different situations in my life all at once without giving any to God. That morning, I remember thinking something that had been culminating for a bit. I remember thinking, "I don't know what to do anymore." then you came up and talked to me, saying that God wants me to trust him and I remember thinking to myself, "Welp, I guess I know what to do now." 

Ethan: You began to venture into this with the 4pm prayer story, but I want to dive a little deeper in. There's a lot of interning at a church that the congregation doesn't see. When you think back on your time at the Praise YTH internship, are there any behind-the-scenes moments that stand out?

Shaylie: I definitely think that there's so much that goes into the church that is unseen. There were days where every single one of us would have an attitude. Then, on Thursday mornings we would talk over the previous night's service and champion moments. Wednesdays were hard and hot and sweaty. Putting up 9-Square and taking it down 1,000 times or doing seatbacks, or whatever else felt so grueling. But, on Thursday, I would always hear how my work paid off and helped someone, and that would make it all worth the effort. All the memories I have because of the internship are so treasured. The relationships I was able to cultivate with Jimmy, Tara, and Carli are so strong now.

Ethan: So, you've likely seen this question asked in most of my interviews, but here we go again: I was watching a "Hot Ones" interview with Tyra Banks, in that episode, she mentioned a time where she taught a marketing class and asked all of her students to submit 1-minute videos of themselves explaining their personal brands. With that in mind, what is the "Shaylie Brammer" brand?

Shaylie: Oooh, a hot mess, I don't know *laughs*. Realistically, it's probably motherly. For a while, I was "Momma Shay" to nearly everyone in Praise Church. That nickname came from the internship because I tend to be the "mom friend". My brand is also probably, I don't know, being loud? Talking all the time? That's an interesting question, I don't know what else to say.

Ethan: That reminds me, at one point, your Twitter bio read, "You can be anything, choose to be happy" which seems to be a somewhat prevailing philosophy throughout many of your experiences. When did that ideology really become a focal point for you?

Shaylie: I think that I don't want to waste my time on Earth being sad and letting my emotions rule me. I've always been a relatively happy person as far as I can remember. I've been very fortunate to have not been brought so low as to feel like I couldn't be happy. I think that within the last 2-3 years, I've changed my attitude to choosing how I am going to act. Why would I choose to be anything other than happy? That's been my mindset. Why hurt other people and yourself if you have the option to laugh about it and move on. That works really well for me because I don't get hurt too easily. I can find myself coming back to wanting to be a light to people. I have such a big influence on so many people, and I want people to think of me as a happy person. I want people to see me as a light of God. 

Ethan: On social media, I find that you are often publicly marveling about how crazy God's plan is or remark about how much better his plan is than ours. Can you point me to one of those moments in your life that really drove that wonder home?

Shaylie: I think that I find myself trying to control my own plans. When that fails, as it inevitably will, I just find myself standing in God's light marveling how great His plan truly was. Here's a moment, when I first started PYA, I was a little apprehensive. I was always somewhat older in FOUR12, but in PYA I was the youngest. They were pushing small groups, but I did not want to go at all. I was so scared to be the baby in a group of people I thought were "real adults". Eventually, I ended up at Darrian's small group at the Ricks' house. I remember driving there and then just sitting in my car, not wanting to go in because I was so scared. I was trying to convince myself that I didn't need a small group. But, I had already driven there, I thought that I'd at least go in. I was so loved and included from the get-go. A few weeks later, I had some serious stuff happen in my life, but my small group was right there with me. That was not my plan! If it were up to me, I would never have even joined that small group, but God is so good to place me there.

Ethan: So, over a year ago on your Instagram, you posted, "Someone ask me how it feels to be graduated." Here we are now, over a year later. I ask you: How does it feel to be graduated?

Shaylie: *laughs for about a minute before composing herself* Ugh, it feels great. I am SO glad I'm not back in High School. It definitely feels weird. There are days that I feel so young and underqualified to be involved with the things I am. It feels weird to be out of High School and having to do a lot more of my own life planning. Seeing who I was in High School and who I am now are very different people. I did ask someone to ask me that, and here I am unprepared for that question, look at me. Sorry.

Ethan: No no, it's completely fine, haha. So, your leadership experience spans a lot of different areas from intern, to a nanny, to "Momma Shay", to Small Group Leader, and several in between. All that to say, leadership is not foreign to you. How has your experience as a leader helped you become a better follower of Christ?

Shaylie: That's a GOOD question and a question that good deserves me thinking about it for more than a few seconds... I think that leadership has pushed me toward God. The position I am placed in as a leader is so crucial. Many of my 7th-grade girls don't have any other person at home who is a believer, so they bring all their questions about God to me. That has made me realize that I don't have to be perfect and I don't have to "have my life together" to be an effective leader. It's made me realize that I have to run to God or else these girls will have very few people to depend on. It's helped me in my walk, and by extension has helped others in their walks. My prayer life has become such a more significant part of my life now that I am a leader. 

Ethan: You mentioned that you love working with kids and that you want to do something with your life that helped children. Do you think any of your experiences with children have led to any revelations about God or leadership to you, specifically?

Shaylie: I have seen a different type of faith from young kids. Even from such a young age, seeing them lifting their hands in worship and being all-in on listening to Natalie speak in Praise Kids. I think that has given me a new perspective on what a childlike faith really is. I want to have that same faith so bad. These kids are so ready to just jump in for God without even having full awareness of who He is. Well, I don't even have full awareness of who He is, but you get what I'm saying. I'm blown away by these kids. Hearing them talk about how they pray at night is SO CUTE *squeal* I love them. Listening to them worship their little hearts out inspires me so much. It has been such a blessing to me. 

Ethan: The way kids think about things is so incredible. I remember when I was young, maybe 6 or 7, my grandmother was talking about art or something and I said to her, "Mimi, Invisible is the Color of the Wind." and she was like, "What are you talking about?"

Shaylie: Wait, it is! Whoa! It just occurred to me that the wind is the color of invisible.

Ethan: After being confused, she actually told me that she was going to make that the title of her book. She came out with a book that was a collection of a lot of her poetry and she named the book, "Invisible is the Color of The Wind." 12 years after I first said it.

Shaylie: That's so cool!

Ethan: It really is, but this is your interview, so let's get back to that, you mentioned your 7th-grade small group. Have you experienced any unexpected difficulties when it comes to Small Group leading?

Shaylie: I think, seeing the hurt and pain these girls have gone through at such a young age was something I was not at all prepared for. Some of the things they bring to the table I would have trouble helping a friend my age deal with, but it's happening to a 7th-grader. It's so hard to see them go through those types of things. Horrible family issues, different kinds of abuses, etc. Real stuff. I think that has been the hardest thing. These girls come to me and feel so broken and so unloved, and it just breaks my heart. I'm also shocked to see who my leaders are going to be. I know for sure which of them are really going to be leaders. Seeing the potential they have that I have an opportunity to help cultivate is crazy. I have been blessed with my girls, they have made my faith grow so much. When I started, I was so scared because I was only a few years older than them. But I love them so much now. I can't imagine not being a part of their lives.

-END-

Thanks so much for reading this interview. If you enjoyed it, consider liking & sharing it on your social media. Every little bit of exposure helps. Make sure to check out some of my other interviews as well. Have a wonderful remainder of your day. Thanks once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Savanna Grube - Interview

Dustin and Katelyn Toups - Interview